Storm Babet lets us off lightly
A review of the weather of October 2023
There’s no doubt the main weather event nationally for October was the passage of Storm Babet, which arrived on 18th and lingered, slow-moving, until 21st. There were some dreadful scenes of severe flooding from many parts of the country, including just a little way north of us in Suffolk, where some places recorded in excess of 100mm (four inches) of rain in those four days.
We were lucky to escape the worst of that, receiving ‘only’ 46mm in those same four days, but it added to a generally wet month. Babet was the second of three depressions to pass across us in the second half of the month, and each delivered plenty of rain – in fact the first of those was responsible for our wettest day of the month, with 22.2mm falling appropriately on Friday 13th. The total for the month as a whole was 112.0mm, which whilst well above our long term average for October of 69.7mm (October is on average our wettest month), is not exceptional – three of the last four years have seen October totals over 100mm, and our record October was in 2000 with 161.7mm.
The barometer showed clearly the three depressions passing over us, with Babet giving us our lowest October pressure on record, of 974.4hPa (or millibars, as they used to be called). However, it wasn’t particularly windy here, the maximum recorded on two days was 26mph, or Force 5. Unusually, Storm Babet’s southerly track meant some of the stronger winds coming from a south-easterly to easterly quarter.
The barometer also shows that we had a fair bit of settled weather under high pressure conditions in the first half of the month, and our temperature maximum of 26.4°C on 9th was our second warmest ever October day. The average day maximum of 17.3°C was also the second warmest in our 39 years of records, and the mean for the month as a whole at 13.1°C was exceeded by only five other Octobers.
|Measure||Unit||Minimum||Average||Maximum||Average min||Average max||Total|
|Wind source (most common/highest gust)||Sector||WSW||WSW|
|Rain daily accumulation||mm||3.7||22.2||113.2|
|Solar irradiance during daylight||W/m²||152||686||453|
|Sunshine (sunny if irradiance > 120 W/m2)||Hours||5.5||8.5||169|
So as we head into November and wait anxiously for the advent of Storm Ciarán, don’t forget to check back with us to see if it proved to be worse or not as bad as Storm Babet.
Want to get email notification of weather news? Sign up here
Here is a list of Weather News articles.
- Storm Babet lets us off lightly – a review of the weather of October 2023
- Records tumble in sultry September – a review of the weather of September 2023
- A thoroughly average August – a review of the weather of August 2023
- Wet and cool – or was it? A review of the weather of July 2023
- Flaming June – more records go – a review of the weather of June 2023
- Plenty of settled weather – a review of May 2023
- An unremarkable month – a review of the weather of April 2023
- Squelching into Spring – a review of the weather in March 2023
- Dry February – a review of the weather of February 2023
- A month of split personality – a review of the weather of January 2023
- Another record-breaking year – a review of the weather of 2022
- Three seasons in a month – a review of the weather of December 2022
- Snow report
- Wet and mild – a review of November 2022
- At last we’re back!
- Back to (almost) normal – a review of the weather of September 2022
- More crazy record-breaking weather!
- Records tumble as desert like conditions prevail – a review of July 2022
- Heatwave newsflash – new record temperature for Epping
- The warm and dry theme continues – a review of June 2022
- The dry spell continues – a review of May 2022
- April Showers dry up again – a review of April 2022
- More like a lamb than a lion – a review of March 2022
- A notably stormy month – a review of February 2022
- A year of calm – a review of the weather of 2021
- The New Year slips quietly in – a review of January 2022
- Fifty shades of grey – a review of December 2021
- Autumn quietly peters out – a review of November 2021
- Still warm and wet as the evenings draw in
- An afterglow of Summer
- Autumn comes early
- And another wet month!
- June 2021 was a month of two halves
- Our weather is still lurching between extremes!
- April Showers dry up
- Some Mad March Days but also record temperatures
- Winter and Spring in a couple of weeks
- The north wind doth blow, and we shall have snow
- A review of the weather in Epping in 2020
- Wet and gloomy sums it up
- A mild but otherwise average November
- Wet wet wet – weather review of October 2020
- Another heat record broken in September
- August had some of everything except snow
- A traditional English summer
- Not much Blazing in changeable June
- Wall to wall sunshine for lockdown May
- It’s April, so where are the showers?
- March comes in like a lion, goes out like a lamb
- February Fill-dyke
- The warmest January in Epping records!